Greetings American Legion Family,
Even though we are now in the months where traditional motorcycle riding decreases, the weather has remained most conducive to getting "knees in the breeze." Your American Legion Riders continue to support Veterans and their families in a number of ways.
On December 1st, we stood in a flag line and participated in a funeral in Lincoln for an Army National Guard veteran. On December 8th, we stood at our bell-ringing post at Hobby Lobby and rang bells for the Salvation Army. We will be curious to hear the dollar amount of our efforts, but we are proud to announce that all of our bell ringers reported that the patrons of Hobby Lobby appeared to be very generous. On December 16th, we participated in the Wreaths Across America ceremony at Wyuka cemetery by standing a flag line and then assisting with the placement of wreaths on the graves of hero warriors.
December for our Riders chapter means election of officers. So, at our meeting on December 21st, we held officer elections. Your 2024 officers are:
Director: Neil Larson
Assistant Director: John Humphrey
Secretary: Mike Streeter
Treasurer: Lori Gubser
Sgt-at-Arms: Ray Paulson
Ride Captain: Bruce Gubser
And I have appointed Glen Masek as Chaplain.
Also at our December meeting, we discussed, and decided to participate in, the ABATE bike show on February 16-18 at the Sandhills Global Event Center (formerly known as the Lancaster Event Center). And, finally, after the business meeting we held our Christmas party, which included card bingo and a snowball fight. I hope everyone who attended had a great time.
Lastly, as reported last month, we also will have a rifle raffle as part of our poker run in 2024. We have purchased the rifle, a Henry Golden Boy .22LR. Tickets will be available beginning in January. Please see any Legion Rider for tickets. The exact date is not set, but the poker run, and drawing for the rifle, will be held in September. We will also have tickets for sale at our booth in the ABATE bike show.
ALR Chapter 3 Director
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
We are NOT a motorcycle club!
We are a part of the nation’s largest wartime veteran’s service organization, members of the American Legion “Family” (Legionnaires, Sons and Auxiliary members) who have joined together to ride our motorcycles for fun and fellowship and to remember and dedicate our self to our original purpose. Service to Our Country.
Being a part of the American Legion, the Riders are committed to:
1. Mentoring youth and sponsorship of wholesome programs for them in our communities,
2. Advocating patriotism and honor,
3. Promoting strong national security, and
4. Continued devotion to our fellow service members and veterans.
True to the Legion's grassroots tradition, each local Riders chapter manages its programs at the post level. Annually the Post 3 Riders are part of many projects and events.
American Legion Riders Post #3 Lincoln, NE
The requirements for membership are.
A. An individual must be a current member of one of the following:
1. An American Legion Post
2. An American Legion Auxiliary Unit
3. A Sons of the American Legion Squadron
B. Each individual shall in order to establish and maintain membership, own (name on title) a motorcycle of at least 350cc in size (no ATV's) that is licensed and insured as required by Nebraska state law.
C.Each individual must have paid the required dues and submitted any required documentation annually.
Dues and Documentation of Membership
a. Dues will be $20.00 per calendar year. To remain a member annual dues will be required to be paid by April 1st, each year.
b. To insure accurate information on members is maintained, Members annually shall verify that the information contained on their original application is current and correct or provide any changes to the information at time of renewal of membership.
c. Persons joining the Chapter at any time during the year will be required to submit a completed Post 3 ALR application to verify they meet membership requirements and pay the annual dues for that year.
Membership qualification may be verified at any time by the Sergeant at Arms.
For History and info: https://www.legion.org/riders/about
Director: Neil Larson
Assistant Director: John Humphrey
Membership: Mike Streeter
Treasurer: Lori Gubser
Road Captain: Bruce Gubser
Sergeant-at-Arms: Theo Silcock
Chaplain: Glen Masek
Our meetings are held the Third Thursday of every month, 7:00 PM @ the Denton Legion Club, 7226 Lancaster Avenue, Denton, NE 68339
15 February 2024
1900 hrs Call to order- By Director
Present Colors and MIA Chair
- Attention to colors – by Director
- Prayer offered – by Chaplain
- MIA chair – by Sgt. At Arms
- Pledge of allegiance – By Director
- Recitation of American Legion Riders Creed – by Director
- Officer Roll Call – by Secretary
- Director – present
- Assistant Director – present
- Secretary – present
- Treasurer – present
- Ride Captain – present
- Sergeant at Arms – present
- Self-Introduction of 20 members present at this meeting and 2 guest 1 new member.
Minutes from previous meeting – by Secretary,
- The January meeting minutes were posted on the Post 3 ALR web page on February 10th all members were advised by email and asked to review, call for additions, corrections, or deletions. Minutes submitted.
Membership report - by Secretary,
- We currently have 34 paid members for 2024. Second notice for renewal was been sent out on February 13th.
Financial Report – by Treasurer, the January report was sent to all members on February 8th. The report indicated an ending balance of $2344.88. $55 was collected at this meeting for the Bunker Fund.
- Director – The Chapter will be sponsoring a girl to attend Cornhusker Girls State. The Director will make a selection from the list he was provided.
- Assistant Director- nothing
- Secretary- nothing
- Treasurer- nothing
- Ride Captain – Discussion of 2024 Poker Run on September 22nd. Starts at Frontier Harley Davidson with stops in Wilber, Dewitt, and Beatrice, ending at Frontier Harley Davidson. We will be using the HOG Pen, thanks to Frontier. Starts with registration from 10am until noon, and the last bike in at 1530. Discussed the American Legion Veterans and Children’s Foundation. Asked to get suggestions of the 2024 donation from supporters for our poker run payout and funding. Need donations for prizes and to fund awards. Please give donations to Bruce and Lori Gubser anytime after the end of March.
- Sgt.at Arms – nothing
- Reports from Committees- none
- Director – Discussed plans to finalize our efforts at the ABATE bike show that starts on the 16th. Talked about wrist bands that cost $15 each, please pay Ray Paulson if you get one. Motion to pay $14 for renting one table and two chairs at the ABATE show by Streeter, second by Bruce Gubser, motion approved. Please show up when you are scheduled to help,
- Treasurer Lori Gubser advised the procedure to be used to account for the sale of raffle tickets at the Bike Show. We only bought 1000 raffle tickets, discussed getting additional tickets and membership wished to limit tickets sold to 1,000 at this time. When 1,000 are sold, we will stop our raffle efforts this year.
- The Chapter had previously authorized up to $100 for the materials/supplies necessary for Chris Benson to fabricate the stand/case for the raffle rifle. Benson said he would donate materials and time. Motion by Bruce Gubser to present Chris Benson $20 for the purpose of purchasing 5 raffle tickets for his donation of the custom gun display stand, second by Streeter, motion approved.
- Bruce Gubser – Discussed the hand drawn art picture that was donated by Ray Paulson, looking for ideas to use this for the benefit of the Chapter, tabled discussion.
- Director – Discussed selling raffle tickets at the Hickman Legion Fish Fry, to be held on February 23rd, March 8th and March 22nd. We will sell tickets at the Feb 23rd fish fry to see how it goes.
- Director - discussed a dinner ride in March. Ride Captain will make arrangements and send out a ride order.
- Secretary – Discussed attendance at the Department of Nebraska 2024 Legacy Run on July 12th, 13th, and 14th. 900 + or – miles run across Nebraska. Proceeds to benefit the American Legion Veterans and Children Foundation (VCF). Starts in Lincoln at Department HQ on the 12th, goes to Ogallala for first night’s stop, then through Scottsbluff, Chadron and to Valentine for second night’s stop, then return to Lincoln on third day. Asking for a minimum of $50 donation for each rider. Motion by Streeter, second by Bruce Gubser, to donate $500 to the VCF. The check to be delivered by Streeter to John Arias, the State Liaison for ALR for the Department on July 12th at start of run.
Other Comments for the Good of the Chapter:
- Lori Gubser – A get well card for Eddy Muggy was circulated for signature. Muggy had surgery a few weeks ago, and is at home recovering.
- Rick Stromer – expressed a desire to collect information on sick or injured members and pass this on to the entire membership. Contact Rick with any information, so it can be forwarded on.
Next meeting date and place – Denton Legion Club on March 21st. 1800 meet and greet 1900 meeting.
Adjournment – Meeting adjourned at 1950.
Respectfully submitted February 18, 2024, by Mike Streeter, Secretary
Follow us on Facebook by clicking the icon above,
or visit our Facebook page:
Copyright © 2023 American Legion Post 3 - All Rights Reserved
Powered by GoDaddy